常用的英语idioms(18)

in ulog •  3 years ago  (edited)

1)against the odds: 迎难而上;冲破万重困难
We won against the odds.

虽然可能性不大,我们还是赢了。

2)feather one's nest:

3)far be it from me:我不想;我绝不会

Far be it from me to interfere in your affairs but I would like to give you just one piece of advice.

我绝不想干涉你的事,我只不过想给你一个忠告。

4)give someone the cold shoulder:to intentionally ignore someone or treat someone in an unfriendly way 故意冷落某人

He's been giving me the cold shoulder ever since I told him to shut up.

自从我让他闭嘴后,他就不理睬我了。

5)whip out:a)突然拿出 to take out rapidly; to take it out and to present or show sth. to sb.

He whipped out his wallet and gave me a five pound. a)

他迅速拿出钱包给了我5英镑。

b)to create sth. or produce sth. very rapidly 快速制成;快速生产

I can whip you out an omelette in 2 minutes.

2分钟之内我就能给你做个鸡蛋饼。

6)get the word out:散布信息

She placed advertisements in a lifestyle newspaper and called friends to get the word out.

她在一份生活时尚类报纸上刊登了广告,还让朋友多帮她做口头宣传。

7)in high gear:do sth. very quickly 快速做某事

Yesterday I was doing some work on the farm and I was in high gear.

昨天我在农场干活,好不干脆麻利。

8)write your own ticket:自行决定;取得决定权及全部优势

I think I' ll be able to write my own ticket after this project.

我想在这个项目过后会取得更多优势和决定权。

9)go the extra mile:加倍努力;做比期望多得多的努力

My birthday party was amazing. My family really went the extra mile to make it a success.

我的生日party真精彩。是我的家人们加倍努力才让它如此成功。

10)joking aside/joking apart:言归正传

11)without a scratch:安然无恙

He managed to come through without a scratch.

他设法脱险,丝毫没有受伤。

12)The course of true love never did run smoith:真爱的过程从来不是一帆风顺的

13)deja vu:French来自法语 deja: already vu: seen

the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time

似曾相识的感觉;记忆幻觉

experience deja vu

Did you ever have a deja vu experience?你是否有过似曾相识的感觉?

14)full of beans:精力充沛 have a lot of energy

My kids are always full of beans.

15)chalk up to:归咎于

Two cups of brandy, chalk it up to me, please.

来两杯白兰地,请记在我的账上。

he chalks them up to the former administrators

15)lay into:痛打;用言词攻击;to attack forcefully 猛烈攻击

16)fall head over hells:爱的神魂颠倒

They just met, but he's fallen head over heels in love with her.

他们刚刚相遇,但他已经深深地爱上了她。

17)knock it off:少来这一套

You're impossible:你真是不可理喻

Give me a break:别烦我了

I'm sick of doing housework. 我厌倦了做家务。

Get out of my face:立刻从我眼前消失

18)stir crazy:

19)bung up:

20)out of sight, out of mind:眼不见心不烦

21)stave off:avert/delay 避开;延缓

What is your plan in 2022 to stave off death?

22)not so much as

甚至于;连. .. 都不

...unable to so much as turn his head without incredible pain from the tuberculosis as it attacked his spinal cord.

... 以至于连转头这样的动作都不能不承受来自结核病带来的剧痛,因为结核袭击了他的脊髓。

23)roll off the tongue

24)take to task:confront; criticize;correct 纠正,批评

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!