A Question About one of the Puzzling Quirks We Often Engage in!

in discussion •  6 years ago  (edited)

A random question for #discussion: One of the #quirks of being human — When in a building, do you push the elevator (lift) button more than once? When at a crossing do you push the cross button repeatedly? Does it really make a difference?

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!
Sort Order:  

Sometimes I forget to push the button, the door closes and nothing happens. Or worse the lift goes on the wrong direction because someone called it. 😁

Well, I have done that too! As if something is magically magically going to happen, just because I entered the lift!

hahahaha @denmarkguy. No, I press them once, but I will admit that I NEVER push either with the tip of my finger. I push them with my knuckle... germaphobe alert hahaha

Now that I think about it, I use my knuckles quite a bit, too... not just on elevators, but on the keypad for the microwave.

hahahaha Good to know I am not alone @denmarkguy :D

We have stange elevator at work. You need to press the number of the desired floor outside the elevator and than a certain elevator will be appointed. So there is no use to press more than once. Or there is, cause each push represents one person. So if I would press it 18 times, I will have the elevator for myself!
When crossing, yes I do. Does it make a difference? Probably not, but it keeps me busy :)

Well, that's an interesting variation! It's one of those odd things in normal life that I think a lot of people do without even being aware. I was at city hall a couple of days ago and that's how I got to answering this silly little question; this guy was waiting and he kept "urgently" punching the elevator button every 3-4 seconds till it got there.

And maybe that's all we're doing... "staying occupied." or maybe people are signaling "I'm in a HURRY!" to the world...

Guess it is also a age related thingy. When you are younger you are living at a much faster pace then when we do get older.
Also at these days, people are always occupied with their phones. I did see people pressing the elevator or crossing button many time, but missing the elevator or the green light because the were too occupied with their phones :)

I look for the button to light up. If it doesn't, I push more than once.

That's pretty much how I approach it, too. It just amazes me when people keep punching the button, as if that's going to make it "go faster."

_:)

I'm pretty certain the multiple push for the cross walk does nothing, but do I do it multiple times? Yes. It's probably more a lab rat pushing the button for his treat response than actually speeding anything up.

The "lab rat" thing is a good point... I also think people take out their frustrations (at themselves) for running late and being in a hurry.

If the button doesn't glow, I press it twice. About the cross button I read somewhere that, that button doesn't make any difference. But my observation tell the otherwise.

I think the crosswalk button does make a difference, at least if it's a "smart" light where the side street light is partially guided by whether or not a vehicle triggers the weight/magnet plate.

Comment: This was originally posted via @zappl, but I ended up editing it, and I am not sure what (if anything) happened to how people see this. I do NOT like the way you can no longer add a title, so I don't think I'll be using Zappl for short posts anymore.

I love it that you make it as your own...more originality and organic now.
Indeed it is an odd behavior and its is always comes together with impatience and paranoia

·  6 years ago Reveal Comment